Tickets on sale for Maine Basketball Hall of Fame induction
BANGOR, Maine — The Maine Basketball Hall of Fame invites the public to attend its third annual induction ceremony at noon Sunday, Aug. 21, at the Cross Insurance Center.
Basketball greats Raymond Alley, Julie Bradstreet, Richard “Doc” Costello, Joey DeRoche, Gregg Frame, Ed Guiski, Tony Hamlin, Chris Jerome, John Jordan, Meaghan Lane Kolyszko, Len MacPhee, Ron Marks, Fern Masse, Bob McAllister, Mike McGee, Kevin Nelson, I.J. Pinkham, Matt Rossignol, Dean Smith, Harland Storey, Don Sturgeon, Kevin Whitmore and Charlie Wootton will be inducted.
In addition, Legends of the Hall — James Connellan, Dick Doyle, Eddie Griffin and Terry Healey — will be recognized.
And the 1995 undefeated Cony girls team and the 1947 Patten High School boys team, which won the New England title, will be honored for their respective feats.
Tickets, which are $55 per person for lunch and admission, may be purchased on the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame site ( http://www.mainebasketballhalloffame.com/). The deadline to purchase tickets is Aug. 15. Doors open at 11:30 a.m.
Stoudemire retires after 14-year NBA career
Six-time NBA All-Star Amar’e Stoudemire announced his retirement on Tuesday after signing a one-day contract with the New York Knicks.
The 33-year-old Stoudemire played 14 NBA seasons, including 4 1/2 campaigns with the Knicks. He had his best seasons with the Phoenix Suns and also played for the Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat.
Stoudemire was an All-Star for the Knicks in 2010-11 when he averaged 24.7 points and 8.0 rebounds. He was voted to start the game — the first time for a New York player since Patrick Ewing in 1997. Injuries hampered him over the rest of his tenure with the Knicks and the final years of his career.
The 6-foot-10 Stoudemire averaged 21.9 points and 9.1 rebounds in 846 career games.
Gordon reinstated, then suffers injury
The Cleveland Browns placed recently reinstated wide receiver Josh Gordon on the active/non-football injury list on Tuesday. Gordon, who passed a physical earlier in the day, injured his quadriceps while working out on his own, according to the team.
The Browns said that Gordon is expected to miss “at least a couple weeks” with the injury.
In another injury development, Cleveland announced that Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden was placed on the physically unable to perform list with an ailing ankle. The 27-year-old has reeled in 16 interceptions in six years with the club.
Gordon officially was added to the roster Tuesday, a day after being reinstated by the NFL on a conditional basis from a one-year suspension. He was scheduled to work out with rookies, quarterbacks and select veterans before full-squad workouts begin Friday.
Falcons release Hester
Four-time Pro Bowl return specialist Devin Hester was released by the Atlanta Falcons.
Hester, 33, holds the NFL records with 20 return touchdowns and 14 punt return touchdowns.
A second-round pick in 2006 out of Miami (Fla.), Hester spent his first eight NFL seasons with the Chicago Bears, including two 50-plus catch seasons during an attempted conversion to a regular wide receiver role.
Red Wings’ DeKeyser agrees to $30M deal
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser agreed to a six-year deal, the team announced Tuesday.
DeKeyser, who was a restricted free agent, avoided an arbitration hearing slated for Thursday by agreeing to terms. General manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press that the contract is worth $30 million.
DeKeyser, 26, had eight goals and 12 assists in 78 games last season. He has 14 goals and 61 assists in 234 career NHL games.


