BANGOR, Maine — A Superior Court judge has ruled that Eastern Maine Medical Center was not negligent when it released a chronic alcoholic, who hours later died in a fire at his Monroe home, over the objections of his children, who were his legal guardians.

Randy N. Oliver II, 32, of North Potomac, Maryland, and Nicole Jernigan, 34, of Cape Coral, Florida, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Bangor hospital after Randy N. Oliver Sr. died at the age of 56 on May 16, 2013.

The Oliver children sued the hospital that fall seeking unspecified damages. Justice Ann Murray heard testimony in June and issued her 39-page ruling Aug. 5.

“The court concludes that it was appropriate for EMMC to discharge Mr. Oliver,” she wrote. “He had no acute medical needs, and he had sufficient capacity to manage his own affairs, and it was his choice where to go after discharge.”

Murray also found that the discharge plan given to Oliver was reasonable and met the applicable standard of care.

“Clearly what Mr. Oliver needed most to address his disease was alcohol treatment services,” Murray said. “However, Mr. Oliver repeatedly declined those services. All the witnesses agreed that alcohol treatment programs are not available to people who are not ready to address their issues with alcohol. Therefore, there was really no alcohol treatment services that EMMC, or his family, or society as a whole could provide to Mr. Oliver at that point in time.”

Oliver was admitted to EMMC on March 22, 2013, with second-degree burns on his hands. He was drunk and delusional, according to testimony.

His family expressed concern about his living conditions to hospital staff because he had no running water in his home and only a woodstove for heat.

While Oliver showed signs of dementia because of his alcohol abuse when he was admitted to EMMC, his cognitive skills improved during the two months he was hospitalized, according to testimony.

Efforts to reach Portland attorney Peter Clifford, who represented Oliver’s children, were unsuccessful.

Randy N. Oliver II said Thursday in an email that he was “taking some time right now to digest and analyze the decision in order to discuss [it] with my family.”

Edward Gould, the Bangor attorney who represented EMMC, praised Murray’s decision Wednesday in an email.

“As she noted in her opinion, [Randy N. Oliver Sr.’s] condition improved significantly over the course of his hospitalization and there was ample evidence to support the conclusions of the practitioners that Mr. Oliver had the capacity to make informed decisions regarding his health care and to decide that he wanted to return to his home rather than remain in the hospital,” Gould said. “While the parties in this case differed regarding many of the issues raised during this trial, one issue which was never disputed was the fact that the Oliver family suffered a great loss when Mr. Oliver passed away and everyone involved in his care is saddened by their loss.”