Jury selection began last week for the trial of former Ogunquit Town Manager Tom Fortier.
A court clerk said no plea deals or other motions were entered in the case, so as of press time, the trial is slated to begin Monday at York County Superior Court.
Fortier faces Class E misdemeanor charges alleging he took money from the town illegally. He was charged with theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and official oppression related to allegations that he took money July 4, 2016, after charging for parking in a lot where parking is free after 4 p.m., and reportedly keeping the money instead of turning it over to the town.
The trial was set to begin Sept. 18, but a court clerk said on that Monday about 85 cases were scheduled for “triage,” meaning all would be reviewed.
Fortier can still enter a plea through his attorney if he chooses to do so before the trial date or even at his trial.
Charges were brought by Wells police after Ogunquit police turned the case over to them to avoid a conflict of interest. Following the allegations, which Fortier denies, he resigned as town manager.
Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest Maine news.


