The University of Maine football team’s three-game winning streak and remote chance of earning a postseason bid came to an end on Saturday as Stony Brook built a 16-0 lead and held on for a 22-17 Colonial Athletic Association win over the Black Bears on Senior Day and Military Appreciation Day at Alfond Stadium in Orono.

Ty Son Lawton scored a pair of touchdowns on a nine-yard run and nine-yard pass from Tyquell Fields, and Angelo Guglielmello kicked three field goals as Stony Brook improved to 4-5 overall and 3-3 in the conference.

UMaine is now 4-5 and 3-4.

The Black Bears turned the ball over three times and failed to convert on a fourth-and-one quarterback sneak by Derek Robertson at its own 34-yard line early in the fourth quarter.

Three plays later, Fields hooked up with Lawton to make it 22-10.

Robertson tossed a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jacob Hennie with 3:50 left to make it 22-17 and the Black Bears got the ball back 1:20 later at their own 44-yard line.

But Robertson was promptly intercepted by Tyler King and Stony Brook ran out the clock.

Robertson had been intercepted by Randy Pringle in the end zone in the third period.

“Those interceptions were big. There are times you just have to throw the ball away and live to play another down,” said UMaine head coach Nick Charlton.

“We left way too many points out there today,” he added. “We didn’t play up to our full potential and that’s on me.”

Charlton said UMaine’s defense “kept us in the game.

“They did a great job,” he said. “Any time you can hold a team to 22 points, you should win the game.”

He took full responsibility for the decision to go for it on fourth down in his own territory in the fourth quarter after originally sending the punting unit out.

“We just needed inches. But I should have punted,” he said.

Freddie Brock caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Robertson in the second period to make it 16-7 after he had rattled off a 69-yard run.

Jonny Messina’s 36-yard field goal made it 16-10 early in the third quarter.

UMaine turned the ball over three times, including a fumble that led to Lawton’s nine-yard run.

UMaine was also penalized 12 times for 104 yards and went 3-for-11 on third down.

Stony Brook had a 299-274 edge in total yards.

Stony Brook’s Fields completed 13 of 25 passes for 164 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Lawton gained 96 yards on 26 carries and Khalil Newton and Hunter Hayek each had three catches for 45 and 40 yards, respectively. King’s nine tackles paced the defense.

The Black Bears’ Robertson completed 17 of 32 passes for 160 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Brock ran for 82 yards on 10 carries. Devin Young had five catches for 47 yards and Montigo Moss had three for 48. UMaine was without All-CAA receiver Andre Miller due to a leg injury.

Ray Miller’s 12 tackles and Khairi Manns’ 10 led the defense. Shakur Smalls had an interception.

UMaine will travel to play Football Bowl Subdivision team UMass (1-8) next Saturday at noon.