If you or someone you know needs resources or support related to sexual violence, contact the Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault’s 24/7 hotline at 800-871-7741.
Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Graham Platner said Monday he is “taking the time to reflect on the best path forward,” stopping short of committing to stay in the race after Politico reported a sexual assault allegation against him.
Platner did not address the specifics of the allegation in a video statement posted to social media. He repeated his written denial from earlier Monday.
“Any accusation of nonconsensual behavior is categorically false,” Platner said in the video.
Platner’s remarks came hours after the postponement of several campaign events and as prediction market Kalshi showed the odds of him dropping out rising by the second to more than 70% Monday, up from 2% earlier in the morning.
The candidate leaned on the scale of his primary win and his volunteer and small-dollar donor network, without directly saying whether he intends to remain in the race against Republican Sen. Susan Collins.
“Regardless of the inaccuracy of the reporting, but mindful of the political reality it will inflict, we are taking the time to reflect on the best path forward,” Platner said.
He closed by thanking supporters and pledging not to “turn my back” on them, without specifying next steps or a timeline for a decision.


