BLUE HILL – Epes Dixwell Chase, born June 21, 1917, to Anna Cornelia Wigglesworth and Philip Putnam Chase, at the family home in Milton, Mass., passed away March 26, 2008. He was the youngest of six children and the last living of that brood. Epes grew up in Milton, Mass., attending Milton Academy, Le Rosey, Switzerland and Phillips Exeter Academy. At some point, he abandoned the struggle with the name Epes and became “Dick.” Going on to Harvard College, he graduated in 1939. He went to work writing and editing news in the Brussels office for a Quaker news service called WorldOver Press as World War II was advancing across Europe. He reported from Berlin, Denmark and Norway, and then had to leave Brussels as Germany invaded Belgium. It was during this time in Europe, that Dick developed his lifelong commitment to pacifism. He married the love of his life, Dec. 22, 1940, in Stony Creek, Conn. Dick and Mary Elizabeth Anderson met in the Harvard Radcliffe Glee Club. Music remained a life long passion for both of them. Dick continued to work for WorldOver Press first from New York City and then from Norwalk, Conn. He served as an orderly at Nor-walk Hospital during the war, having won exemption from the draft as a conscientious objector. As children arrived, Dick moved from WorldOver Press to the Associated Press Radio News Service in its New York City office. In 1950, the family, now numbering four, moved to a farmhouse in Wilton, Conn., and Dick became the owner/ operator of a boat yard called Orienta Marine Corp., Long Island Sound, Mamaroneck, N.Y. Always a sailor and boat man, his years at the boatyard infused salt water into the veins of all of his sons. In 1952, Dick returned briefly to Harvard for a Master of Arts in history. In 1961, the family now numbering seven, four boys and three girls, Dick sold the boatyard, and took a degree in economics from The New School, New York City. Pursuing an interest in third world development and a study of worldwide fisheries, he traveled independently to Africa. He then took a job with a Rockefeller enterprise called IBEC or International Basic Economy Corporation as procurement manager for their tuna packing plants. He traveled widely during this time, to Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, South America, West and East Africa, the Cape Verde Islands, Japan and Korea. In 1971, IBEC Packing Co., was sold and Dick and Mary moved to Maine, where Dick cleared the overgrown fields of the old Howard Farm on the shores of Horeshoe Cove, Brooksville. He built a barn and started milking Jerseys, a legacy from his country childhood in Milton, Mass. He sold milk out of an old water cooler in his milking room, and planted a large vegetable garden, cut his own wood and made his own hay, while Mary taught weaving and ran a Swedish yarn and gift shop. During this time, Dick joined the Cape Rosier Grange, where he was master and chaplain. In the early 80s, as he eased up on the farm work, he turned to volunteer work with Hospice of Hancock County, where he became a skilled caregiver. In 1993 Dick and Mary sold the place in Brooksville and moved into the newly built Parker Ridge Retirement Community, Blue Hill. They joined the Congregational church and Dick became a deacon. A significant journey for him during this time was a group study the deacons undertook to consider the issue of gay marriage within the church. Like everything Dick undertook, from his youthful concerns with Quakerism, socialism and pacifism; his mature work in third world development; his later study of death and dying, his study of homosexuality was undertaken with an open and inquiring mind and a quiet commitment to action. During these later years Dick worked as a “friendly visitor” at the two neighboring nursing homes, Island Nursing Home, Deer Isle and Penobscot Nursing Home, Penobscot. He served on the Parker Ridge Association Board of Directors as a member and as president. He made himself useful in innumerable ways in a uniquely unassuming, genuine exuberance rooted in the joy of service. Well done oh good and faithful servant. Dick Chase is survived by a thriving family and an extended clan of cousins, all of whom he sought to include in various traditions of family fellowship. Mother and father modeled for us all the rich and simple pleasures of the extended family board, a table generously laid for all. His surviving immediate family includes his wife, Mary of Parker Ridge; his four sons, Carl Chase of Brooksville, Eric Chase of Brooksville, Peter Chase of Harborside and Andy Chase of Castine; his three daughters, Arria Bilodeau of Providence, R.I., Lisa Chase of Blue Hill and Josie Chase of Whitman, Mass. Out of these seven, he enjoyed a bounty of 18 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, with three more on the way. He loved his sons-in-law and daughters-in-law with the same open heart he showed his children. Mother and father, were always a little astonished at the results of the injunction to “be fruitful and multiply,” which they so happily and heedlessly followed. A memorial service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, April 5, at Blue Hill Congregational Church. A reception will be held after at Parker Ridge dining room. The family requests that donations in Dick’s memory be made to Hospice of Hancock County, 14 McKenzie Ave., Ellsworth, ME 04605 or to Rosier Rainbow Grange No. 203, care of Jane Clifford, 147 Weir Cove Road, Harborside, ME 04642.