BANGOR, Maine — A Medway man is facing multiple charges after a 15-mile high-speed chase Friday night through Old Town, Orono and Milford that reached speeds of nearly 100 mph.

Lauren MacArthur, 27, is being held at the Penobscot County Jail.

He is charged with aggravated attempted murder, eluding a police officer, reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, operating after suspension and violation of a condition of release.

MacArthur was driving south on Interstate 95 about 9:15 p.m. Friday when Maine State Police Trooper Chris Hashey attempted to pull him over for an obstructed registration sticker and license plate a mile north of the Stillwater Avenue exit in Old Town. When he attempted to stop MacArthur, Hashey believed there was an outstanding warrant for the driver and that MacArthur was armed and dangerous.

It was not until the chase ended that Hashey learned the warrant for MacArthur no longer was active.

The driver refused to stop, Hashey said Saturday. Instead, MacArthur sped up, took the exit onto Stillwater Avenue and headed into downtown Old Town, the trooper said. MacArthur took Center Street to Route 2 and turned right toward Orono. Once in Orono, the driver turned right on College Avenue.

An Orono police sergeant who was directing traffic at the Alfond Arena entrance to the University of Maine was attempting to clear College Avenue of traffic when MacArthur purposely swerved toward him, according to Hashey. The sergeant was able to jump out of the path of MacArthur’s vehicle to avoid being hit.

MacArthur crossed Stillwater Avenue and continued speeding on College Avenue Extension, according to the state trooper. One of MacArthur’s tires was punctured by a spike mat set out by deputies with the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office but MacArthur kept going.

He turned right on Gilman Falls Road and led police into Milford. As MacArthur was turning left onto Route 178, Hashey said he rammed his cruiser into the 2007 Toyota Yaris MacArthur was driving. That disabled MacArthur’s car, the trooper said, but MacArthur jumped out and fled on foot toward Bradley.

Hashey caught up with MacArthur and placed him under arrest about 9:30 p.m.

The cruiser had damage to the front bumper and front passenger-side lights, according to the trooper. The Yaris, which is not registered to MacArthur, had significant damage.

Because he is charged with felonies, MacArthur must appear before a judge Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center before bail can be set.

MacArthur could face additional charges once the case is reviewed by the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office.

Hashey said a firearm was found near MacArthur’s car once it was stopped. If it is linked to MacArthur, he could be charged in federal court with being a felon in possession of a firearm.