GORHAM, Maine — Officials say an early morning fire in a dormitory at the University of Southern Maine Gorham was deliberately set.

The fire in a recycling closet in Upton-Hastings Hall was reported at 2:37 a.m. Monday when a sprinkler system went off inside the closet.

Staff evacuated 200 students from the hall.

WMTW-TV reports the students were allowed back into the dorm at 5 a.m.

College spokesman Bob Caswell says there was no fire or smoke damage outside the closet and all rooms are inhabitable.