MILLINOCKET, Maine – An East Millinocket man was due in court Friday to answer charges that he resisted arrest on his way to jail so violently that officers had to shackle him, police said Thursday.

Hollis Hafford, 63, of East Millinocket was charged Wednesday with criminal mischief, criminal threatening, violation of the conditions of his release and resisting arrest, East Millinocket Police Chief Cameron McDunnah said.

On Wednesday morning, Hafford was just leaving Millinocket District Court, where he had been answering unrelated charges — two counts of violation of a protective order – when East Millinocket Officer Bradley Fitzgerald and Penobscot County Sheriff’s Deputy Patty McLaughlin approached him. They had a warrant charging Hafford with violation of the conditions of his release, McDunnah said.

When they told Hafford he was under arrest, McDunnah said, Hafford began to resist and threaten them. The officers handcuffed Hafford and put him in the front seat of McLaughlin’s cruiser, which lacks a safety barrier between the back and front seats, McDunnah said.

Although he was handcuffed, Hafford began to kick at the dashboard as McLaughlin drove through Millinocket’s downtown on her way to the Penobscot County Jail in Bangor, McDunnah said.

Hafford became so unruly that McLaughlin pulled over, McDunnah said. Millinocket police Officer Steve Kenyon had to assist McLaughlin and Fitzgerald as they removed Hafford from the car and put leg shackles on him, McDunnah and Millinocket police said.

Fitzgerald went to East Millinocket’s Public Safety Building and retrieved an East Millinocket police “cage car” — a cruiser with a safety barrier — and the officers eventually placed Hafford within it, McDunnah said.

Fitzgerald had resumed the trip to the jail when Hafford said he was experiencing medical problems. The officers took Hafford to Millinocket Regional Hospital, where he was treated and placed back in custody.

Hafford arrived at the jail at about 4:30 p.m. A jail official said he was being held without bail until Friday’s court appearance at the Penobscot County Judicial Center.