For the third straight season, the University of Maine men’s hockey team has started out with two losses.

The University of Alaska-Fairbanks answered a game-opening goal by Maine’s Blaine Byron with four straight goals en route to a 5-2 victory at the Kendall Hockey Classic in Anchorage, Alaska, on Saturday night.

The first-period goals by Peter Krieger and Josh Atkinson were 1:08 apart and gave the Nanooks (2-0) a lead they never relinquished.

Following a scoreless second period, Colton Sparrow and Alec Hajdukovich notched goals 2:23 apart in the first 4:02 of the third period to expand the lead to 4-1.

Devin Shore made it 4-2 with 2:57 remaining, but Brandon Morley sewed up the win with an empty-net goal 1:51 later.

Alaska-Fairbanks defeated Wisconsin 1-0 Friday night before Alaska-Anchorage topped Maine 3-1.

“We played a lot better tonight, but it still wasn’t good enough,” Maine coach Red Gendron said. “We generated more scoring chances. We did a better job managing the puck. We were all over them in the second period.

“But we made mistakes (that proved costly). We blew some coverages. And we need to shoot more instead of trying to make the extra pass,” Gendron added.

Maine opened the scoring at 9:43 of the first period courtesy of a 3-on-2 rush.

Cam Brown and Conor Riley worked a nice passing sequence that resulted in a shot. The rebound spilled to Byron, who jammed it home.

Krieger responded with a shot from the right circle off a Colton Parayko feed. The Nanooks took the lead for good when Atkinson’s shot was redirected past Maine freshman goalie Sean Romeo, who was making his college debut.

Maine outshot UAF 8-7 in the second period, even though the Nanooks had three power plays to Maine’s one.

But UAF goalie Davis Jones stopped all eight.

“He made some good saves,” Gendron said.

The turning point in the game came at the outset of the third period, when a turnover led to the third Nanook goal.

“We had just had a great penalty kill. But instead of just dumping the puck into the (offensive) zone, one of our guys tried to make a cross-ice pass,” Gendron explined.

Garrick Perry was the beneficiary of the turnover and split the Black Bear defense to break in alone.

Romeo made the initial save, but Sparrow followed up the play and poked the rebound home.

UAF wasted little time upping the lead when Atkinson made a nifty cross-ice pass to Hajdukovich, who swept it past the helpless Romeo.

Shore gave the Black Bears a little lifeline when he took a swipe at the puck while falling down. It deflected in off Jones’ skate.

Maine pulled Romeo in favor of the extra attacker, and Jones made a big-time save off Brian Morgan before Sparrow cleared the rebound to Morley, who directed the puck into the vacated net.

Alaska-Fairbanks had a 22-21 edge in shots on goal. Maine was scoreless in four power-play chances while Alaska finished 0-for-3 with the man advantage.

Maine went 0-for-9 on the power play over the weekend.

Jones made 19 saves to Romeo’s 17.

Sparrow, Atkinson and Hajdukovich each had a goal and an assist for UAF while Brown had two assists for Maine.

Gendron praised the performances turned in by sophomore linemates Morgan, Brown and Byron along with junior right wing Steven Swavely and junior defenseman Ben Hutton.

Maine hosts defending national champion Union on Friday and Saturday nights.