MONMOUTH, Maine — A mother and daughter pleaded guilty to ramming their cars in a Monmouth cemetery and knocking over several headstones.
Police said 43-year-old Melissa Grant and 21-year-old Savannah Lowe knocked over several headstones when Lowe hit her mother’s car.
Lowe said she tried to prevent Grant from leaving the cemetery because she thought Grant was drunk.
Officials said Grant and Lowe received six-month suspended sentences.
Grant and Lowe, 20, both of West Gardiner, were charged on last year by the Kennebec County district attorney’s office with aggravated criminal mischief, a Class C felony carrying a prison term of up to five years and a maximum fine of $5,000 if convicted. Grant also was charged with operating after suspension and operating beyond license restriction, both Class E misdemeanors.
Both Grant and Lowe were arrested on Sept. 27, 2013, the night of the offense.
Grant allegedly was intoxicated when she was driving in the Monmouth Ridge Cemetery, Monmouth police Chief Kevin Mulherin said last year.
Lowe attempted to keep her mother from driving by trying to stop Grant’s car with her own vehicle. What resulted was a “demolition derby,” said Monmouth Cemetery Association President Hugh LeMaster.


