AUGUSTA, Maine — The newly appointed chief of the Maine National Guard will meet with National Guard Bureau officials Wednesday in Arlington, Virginia, to discuss the possible transition of the state’s 133rd Engineer Battalion to an infantry regiment.

Brig. Gen. Gerard Bolduc, who was appointed interim Adjutant General on March 24, said he met with Gov. Paul LePage earlier this week about the meeting at the Army National Guard Readiness Center, which is expected to help shape the future configuration of the guard in Maine.

“I informed the Governor about the trip and that a final decision will be forthcoming in the future after our meeting tomorrow with Army Guard Officials,” Bolduc said in an email to the Bangor Daily News on Tuesday.

Bolduc and LePage have stated they wish to keep the 133rd engineers in Maine, contradicting a plan put forward by former Maine guard chief Brig. Gen. James Campbell calling for its transformation to infantry. LePage abruptly fired Campbell last month, citing a loss of confidence in him over the formulation of the plan. But Campbell’s plan had already begun the complicated adoption process at the national level.

The plan to transform two units of the 133rd and two other units into the proposed new 1st Battalion, 103rd Infantry Regiment in Maine was approved in draft form by the Department of the Army on Jan. 30, Capt. Norman Stickney confirmed last week.

The draft Army command plan, which shows the Maine transition happening in fiscal year 2017, which starts on Oct. 1, 2016, will likely be headed to formal approval as early as June, and final approval in late summer, according to military officials.

“We will be discussing with senior leadership possible courses of action and the way forward,” Bolduc said in the Tuesday email. “My concern is the future of the Maine National Guard, and a trip to visit Guard officials is warranted.”

Bolduc declined to go into detail about the course of action he prefers.

“We are presenting several courses of action to the Army National Guard and will be offered National Guard courses of action for our consideration,” Bolduc said. “The Maine National Guard supports the 133rd Engineering Battalion … thus the reason for the visit tomorrow … I will release details as soon as I am able to regarding how we will resolve this matter.”

The units converted into the 103rd under the proposed plan include more than the 133rd. “There has been a lot of focus on the 133rd,” while the others have been overlooked, Stickney said.

The 488th Military Police Company in Waterville, Bravo Company, 172nd Mountain Infantry unit based in Brewer, and the two units that fall under the 133rd — the 136th Engineer Company in Skowhegan and Lewiston and the 251st Engineering Company of Norway — would create the proposed new 103rd Infantry Regiment.

The Forward Support Company and Headquarters Company would remain in place because all battalions regardless of force structure need those type of supporting units.

Units listed to be “turned in,” which means discontinued in Maine, as part of the planned transition include the 1035th Survey and Design Team of Portland, the 1968th Contingency Contracting Team and the 121st Public Affairs Department, both based in Augusta.

Leaders of each Maine unit have been informed of the possible change on the horizon, Stickney said.

The state also would still retain two engineer companies — the 262nd Engineer Company based in Westbrook and the 185th Engineering Support Company from Caribou — if the 133rd to 103rd transition were to take place.

“There would be approximately 20 jobs lost,” under the current transition plan, Stickney said. There are approximately 2,100 Maine Army guard members in Maine.

“We have over 70 different jobs that our existing soldiers can reclassify at any time,” he said in February after LePage mentioned the transition in his State of the State address. “Even though we’ll be losing about 20 positions, nobody is being fired or let go. If a job title is identified, the soldier will have an opportunity to reclassify. There will still be a lot of engineer jobs.”

Campbell, who became Maine’s adjutant general in 2012, said last year that powerful figures in the Pentagon had been talking in 2013 about downsizing the National Guard. He opposed the concept, but started in earnest to work on plans to save “upwards of 200” Maine Guard jobs by making the switch to better align the state with national force needs, he said.

Campbell issued a December 2013 justification letter in support of the 2014 Maine Army Guard’s Force Structure Strategic Plan that calls for the change, which was approved by Lt. Gen. William Ingram, now retired director of the Army National Guard, on Jan. 2, 2014.

Campbell then informed LePage of his plans, according to a reference to the conversation in an April 9, 2014, email to his chief of staff obtained by the Bangor Daily News that states LePage, “said to go for it.” That was a month before the governor expressed outrage that news about the plan was leaked through congressional leaders in Washington, D.C.

The proposed plan is scheduled to be finalized this summer when the Total Army Analysis is completed, Maj. Earl Brown, spokesman for the National Guard Bureau, said in an email.

“We anticipate a decision to be published in late summer of 2015,” Brown said.

The force accounting database of record, called the Structure and Manpower Allocation System, also includes the plan and is typically finalized in June, according to the “2013-2014 How the Army Runs: A Senior Leader Reference Book” provided by Matthew Bourke, a U.S. Army spokesman based in Washington, D.C.

The SAMAS, as it is called, “is updated and ‘locked’ annually, usually in the June timeframe” and once locked, the document is “called the Army’s MFORCE [Master Force] and reflects the [Chief of Staff]-approved current, budgeted and programmed force structure of the Army,” according to the Army reference book.

Once locked, “it is the authoritative record of the total force over time,” it states.

The move in Maine was started when Campbell, who spent parts of the summer of 2013 in meetings at the Pentagon, learned that the regular Army planned to grow post-conflict instead of getting smaller and having Guard and Reserve units grow. He penned a scholarly article in September 2013 titled, “The National Guard as Strategic Hedge” about how reducing the National Guard is a bad decision and goes against traditional post-conflict actions. Congressional leaders, who must approve the Army’s budget for the SAMAS to be locked, also are not very happy with the Army’s plans and in December established the National Commission on the Future Structure of the Army to examine the sweeping force structure changes.

“The results of the Commission can certainly impact the rest of the structure,” Stickney said.

In addition to the Commission, Congress could also direct a change in force structure that possibly could impact what happens in Maine, military officials have said.

Bolduc hopes to make changes before it gets to that point.

“Our desires are always to keep Maine jobs,” Bolduc said. “The Governor and I agree that losing one member or one unit is too many.”

Campbell wasn’t fired because of the plan itself, but because the governor believes that Campbell “mischaracterized how the plan was formulated,” said Peter Steele, the governor’s spokesman.

What can be done now that the process is underway, “is what the general is trying to figure out right now,” Steele said of Bolduc.