OGUNQUIT, Maine — A fire that flattened the Blue Water Inn earlier this week has been deemed accidental, according to the state fire marshal’s office.

Sgt. Ken Grimes said Friday an electrical malfunction likely caused the blaze that destroyed the Route 1 motel Tuesday.

Grimes said the fire started in the wall area of the southeast corner of the building. The sergeant said the fire burned inside the wall for a lengthy period of time and spread once it broke out of the wall.

The fire also spread into the second-floor area of Huckleberry’s Restaurant, according to Grimes.

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports reporter Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. In "The Boston Blitz" he'll be sharing his perspective...