WOODVILLE, Maine — His many medications leave him barely lucid, and his injuries are extensive, but doctors are surprised at how fast Al Cimon is healing from burns suffered in an explosion in his backyard last month, his girlfriend said Saturday.

“He is just barely starting to become aware and lucid now,” Sue Stevens said from their home on Energy Lane. “He seems to have pretty good function. He is obviously going to need therapy but he is moving most every part of his body. They [doctors] expect he will make a full recovery.”

A Medway automotive shop owner, Cimon was working in the backyard when the gasoline explosion occurred May 17. He suffered second- and third-degree burns, mostly to the upper half of his body, officials have said. He is likely to face a six-month recovery period. He remains hospitalized at Massachusetts General Hospital after a LifeFlight helicopter flew him there.

Comments left on the gofundme.com page established to help Cimon pay his medical bills illustrate his friends’ concerns.

“Really happy this surgery went well Sue. Please know we are praying constantly for his complete recovery,” Linda Levesque Bechard wrote.

“Hang in there big guy,” John May wrote.

“Still praying for you all. He is a great person and there are a lot of us pulling for him,” April Staples wrote.

Stevens and other members of Cimon’s family took to reading get-well cards and letters to Cimon in the weeks following the accident, said Stevens, who stays with members of his family in Massachusetts when she visits.

Stevens, who hasn’t been to Boston in about a week, has heard from doctors that Cimon’s last several days of recovery have been very promising, she said. That’s good news considering that he has had four skin-graft surgeries already and has what could be his last scheduled for next week.

Cimon, who owns Al’s Auto Repair on Medway Road, is very strong-willed, said Stevens, who expressed gratitude for the support they have received. As of Saturday, the web page had raised $3,535 of its $15,000 goal in 24 days, the page states.

“I guess he has made huge progress this week,” she said. “It’s hard to believe that a month has passed since it happened.”