ROCKLAND, Maine — A 65-year-old Camden man who has been wanted by police for 18 months for allegedly assaulting and stalking a local woman was apprehended Monday in Connecticut.

Connecticut State Police captured Randy B. Smith and brought him to the Corrigan-Radgowski Correctional Institute in Uncasville. He made an initial court appearance Tuesday and waived extradition, but no timetable has been set for his return to Maine. Bail was set at $50,000.

Details about his apprehension were not immediately available.

Police have been seeking Smith since he failed to appear for a May 2014 hearing in Knox County District Court on charges of domestic violence assault and six charges of violating protective orders. An arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear for that hearing.

The alleged victim in the criminal case had filed a civil lawsuit against Smith last year, which detailed the criminal allegations against him.

An affidavit filed by the woman in her civil lawsuit states that Smith approached her at an art show in Rockland during the summer of 2010, struck up a conversation and told her that he was a friend of her late husband who had died the previous year in an accident.

The woman said she began a long-term romantic relationship with Smith, thinking he was an understanding individual.

Smith later revealed to her that he never knew her husband. He also allegedly said he had previously been in long-term relationships with both a wealthy widow and wealthy divorcee. She said in her lawsuit that Smith was an opportunist who she believes thought that she too was wealthy.

Soon into their relationship, Smith became verbally and physically abusive, she said in the affidavit. She said he refused to leave her home and on occasions when he would leave, he would break back into the home and one time hid in the basement.

She said he also threatened to have her stabbed when he thought she was seeing another man.

Smith grabbed her by the neck in 2011, and the woman filed a police report but later withdrew the complaint because she was afraid of public embarrassment, according to her lawsuit.

Smith was arrested in February 2014 on a criminal charge of domestic violence assault, according to police and court records. The police affidavit on that charge alleges that he pushed the woman when she tried to intervene in a verbal argument Smith was having with her 14-year-old son.

She told police at the time that he punched her in the face and when she called police, he ripped out cords from the wall in an effort to end the call. He fled from the scene when he realized she had already contacted police, according to the police affidavit.

He then repeatedly violated a court order to stay away from the woman, according to police.

In May, the district attorney’s office filed a motion to revoke Smith’s bail based on his violation of the protective order.