BERLIN — Organizers of the “Rock am Ring” music festival in Germany said Saturday they had no plans to close the event after 51 people were injured by lightning strikes Friday, the first day of the three-day event, despite forecasts of further thunderstorms.

The festival, now in its 31st year and with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Black Sabbath at the top of the billing this year, takes place at the airport in Mendig, near the Nurburgring motor racing track.

“We are not considering canceling the festival,” spokeswoman Katharina Wenisch said.

The festival website warned visitors: “There is a possibility of strong rains and thunderstorms on Saturday evening. Visitors should be prepared and take precautions as needed.”

German police, local authorities and the organizer were planning to hold a news conference later to discuss the incident.

The organizer had reported on its website early Saturday morning that at least 42 people were injured, eight seriously.

But the numbers rose as more fans reported injuries in the early morning hours, according to a police spokesman.

Thirty-three people were injured at the festival last year by lightning strikes, according to German media.

Wenisch said the festival had been sold out for months, with 92,500 people expected to attend.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *