Sea Dogs closing in on 9 million fans

PORTLAND, Maine — The Portland Sea Dogs, the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, are closing in on 9 million fans in franchise history.

The Sea Dogs are 15,506 fans away from the 9 million. The 9 millionth is expected to walk through the gates on Thursday when the Sea Dogs host the Trenton Thunder at 7 p.m.

The 9 millionth fan will receive a Sea Dogs prize package including a pair of Sea Dogs season tickets for the next nine seasons, nine $25.00 gift cards to Rivalries Sports Bar & Grill, nine car washes at Scrub-A-Dub, a No. 9 Sea Dogs jersey. The fan will also get to throw out a ceremonial first-pitch prior to the game.

Through 64 games this season, the Sea Dogs rank third in the league in attendance having attracted 335,577 fans, an average of 5,243 per game.

The 2016 season is the 23rd season of play for the Sea Dogs. In the team’s first season in 1994, the Sea Dogs established an Eastern League record in attendance as 375,197 fans made their way to Hadlock Field. Since that time the Sea Dogs have consistently drawn around 400,000 fans annually and rank among the attendance leaders in Double-A baseball.

Notre Dame CB Butler charged; accused of tackling officer

Notre Dame senior cornerback Devin Butler was charged with two felonies on Tuesday stemming from the incident in which he was arrested early Saturday morning.

Butler was charged with resisting law enforcement and battery against a public safety official, according to the St. Joseph County (Ind.) prosecutor’s office.

Butler is scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly indefinitely suspended Butler on Sunday.

School policy calls for the dismissal of any student who is charged with a felony.

Notre Dame previously dismissed safety Max Redfield as a result of a slew of player arrests over the weekend. Six Notre Dame players were arrested in two separate incidents Friday and Saturday.

Redfield, running back Dexter Williams, linebacker Te’von Coney, cornerback Ashton White and receiver Kevin Stepherson were arrested for possession of marijuana, which is a misdemeanor.

Cowboys’ Bryant to sit with concussion

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant will not play against the Seattle Seahawks this week due to a concussion.

Bryant sustained a concussion in Monday’s practice and will not play Thursday. He’s unlikely to play in the preseason finale next week, as per team custom, meaning he would not suit up until Sept. 11 against the New York Giants.

Bryant has four catches for 74 yards and two touchdowns in the first two preseason games in his comeback from offseason foot surgery. Bryant played only nine games last season after signing a five-year, $70 million deal on July 15.

His poor production was in part a byproduct of a revolving door at quarterback. Bryant recorded a career-low 31 receptions for 401 yards and three touchdowns in 2015.

Four-star recruit spurns Michigan

Four-star recruit Aubrey Solomon decommitted from Michigan after the Wolverines sent a thank you note addressed to another player in regard to attending an event Solomon knew nothing about.

“A day or two ago, they sent my mom a card thanking us for going to the Michigan BBQ, but we never went,” Solomon told Dawgs247, a Georgia recruiting site. “I do not know which recruit they were talking to, but it was not me. It was just a little heartbreaking, for me to supposedly be so high on their list, for them to confuse me with someone else. Plus they spelled both of my names wrong after I told them, but that was not the main issue. I guess they do not have tabs on me.”

Solomon committed to Michigan in June, giving the Wolverines eight players with four-star ratings in the Class of 2017. Solomon said he will still attend his official visit, but Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and Georgia are back in the mix for the Leesburg, Ga., native.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *