ROCKLAND, Maine — A 19-year-old Hope man is expected to make his initial court appearance Wednesday afternoon after police said he violated the probation that was imposed on him following a sexual assault conviction last year.
Josiah A. Bernardo has been held at the Knox County Jail in Rockland since July 1 after he was arrested for criminal trespass by Rockland police.
Bernardo was sentenced in November to five years in jail with all but six months suspended for gross sexual assault. He also was placed on probation for three years. While no force was used in that case, the girl was 13 years old and had not reached the age of consent for sex in Maine.
The 19-year-old was arrested July 1 after police received a call of a disturbance at a Rankin Street residence. According to an affidavit filed in Knox County Unified Court in Rockland, the two residents of the home said that Bernardo and another man entered their home and that Bernardo threatened to go out and return with a handgun. He did not display a weapon, however, at any time.
The other man, Kurtis Bertrand, 21, of South Thomaston, was arrested by Rockland police and charged with aggravated criminal trespass, criminal mischief and criminal trespass.
Bernardo’s probation officer has filed a motion with the court stating that the teen violated probation by committing a new criminal act, by drinking and by violating curfew.


